Sunday, June 17, 2012

Juneteenth

By Brother Josias Morobi, OHC, Mariya uMama WeThemba Monastery in Grahamstown, South Africa

I understand today we celebrate the Juneteenth. In the next two days most people in this country will be celebrating and honoring the African American heritage by commemorating the announcement of the abolition of slavery in the US. I know that most if not all of you know the story behind this celebration so I will not re-tell it to you. Instead I will tell you another story.

In South Africa June is marked as the youth month. In particular June 16, is the national youth day. This is the day we remember the SOWETO (South Western Township) uprising, which was the series of protest led by high school students in 1976.

The black high school students protested against the Afrikaans medium decree of 1974 which forced all black schools to use Afrikaans and English as languages of instructions. (Afrikaans is a West Germanic language descended from Dutch, it is mainly spoken in South Africa and Namibia). The association of Afrikaans with apartheid prompted the black South Africans to prefer English. In the words of Archbishop Desmond Tutu "Afrikaans is the language of the oppressor." Our mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters had to learn mathematics and social studies in the language they did not like.

June 16 is therefore the day we remember the courage of young people who protested against the language they did not like. It is also a day that the South Africans recognise the value of the young people in the country. The remembrance of June 16 has become a motivational story for us as young people in South Africa. It encourages us to stand up for our rights. It is the story that give us strength to make our voices heard. It is the story that tells me that I need to be free.

I need freedom to be me - so that I am not just a figment of somebody's imagination, but an actual person who cares and is cared for. I need to get involved in life, not just to be an onlooker. I need to get close to life, feel it, smell it an sweat over it.I need to be free. Free to laugh or cry; free to live or die; free to be responsible and care. I want to dig into freedom. I do not want the things that the other person wants. I do not believe in someone else's values. I can not live on other persons terms. Some people say they want to help, but what they really mean is that they want to stay on top, and hand out their welfare and clothing, while we smile and act nicely saying things like " Thank you sir or thank you Ma`am'. Well, I do not want anybody on top giving me anything. I want to be on top myself, helping myself, giving myself what I need.

Remember we are all made in the image of God. Which means that we are free to make choices: to love, to create, to reason, and to live in harmony with creation and with God.

You don't ask for freedom, you take it. I do not ask for something that is already in my possession.

Paul in his letter to Galatians writes: It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery. You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh[a]; rather, serve one another humbly in love.(Galatians 5:1, 13). This is our freedom. This is our calling. Freedom to serve one another humbly in love.

Allow me to read the ' General Order No3' that was read by the General Gordon Granger on the 19th June 1865, on the balcony of Galveston’s Ashton Villa.

The people of Texas are informed that, in accordance with a proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of personal rights and rights of property between former masters and slaves ....

This statement for me is in line with what Paul is saying in his letter this morning: From now on, therefore, we regard no one from a human point of view; even though we once knew Christ from a human point of view, we know him no longer in that way. So if anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation: everything old has passed away; see, everything has become new! 2 Corinthians 5:6-10,[11-13],14-17.

I understand the Juneteenth has become the story of the nation. It is the story that the black people of this country will never forget. It is the story that shall not be forgotten by the people who work for justice. The black people in South Africa have forgiven the apartheid system, but we will never forget what it did to us and our loved ones.

These kinds of stories are good for us because they help us to find our way in life.They act as landmarks to guide us. The beginning and the whole purpose of our continuing relationship with God lies in our story. What ever the story may be. The meaning and the destination of our lives lie in the way our story connects to Jesus and the Gospel of redemption.

I will like to invite you therefore to reflect on your story, because I believe that is where you will most easily find the traces of God's action in your life.

During the next few days or weeks, try to take a little time in prayer just to remember your life and the making of your faith story so far. Imagine your life as a mountain pathway you've climbed. What crags does the path run through? What special views along the way have left you with a sense of joy and wonder? What major milestones have you passed, and how do you feel about them? What important discoveries have been along the path? Where did the path begin, and where is it leading you? What baggage are you carrying, do you ever wish it were not so heavy? What landmarks have guided you on your journey? Was it an easy journey? Is it an easy journey? Can you honestly say that you are free?

© 2012 Br. Josias Morobi, OHC